PARTNER – LITIGATION AND INSOLVENCY ATTORNEY
Hector Sbert is a Spanish commercial litigator specialized in enforcement proceedings, distressed debt settlement, asset tracing & recovery and contentious insolvency. He also has a consolidated experience in cross-border commercial litigation and international arbitration, particularly in the areas of construction, real estate, banking, insurance, M&A, transport and distribution and agency contracts. He provides effective legal guidance in several languages.
Ph.D. in Law from Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona (2008). Executive M.B.A., IESE Business School, University of Navarra (2012). Registered with the Barcelona Commercial Courts as Bankruptcy Receiver (Administrador Concursal). Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London (MCIArb.). Registered as Civil and Commercial Mediator at the Spanish Ministry of Justice.
Spanish Representative of ICC’s FraudNet, the leading worldwide network of lawyers specialized in asset tracing and recovery, according to “Chambers and Partners" (Band 1).
Former Council Member and Former President of the Ethics Commission of the Barcelona Bar Association (2009-2013). Former President of the Insolvency Law Commission at the International Association of Young Lawyers-AIJA (2016-2019). Associate Professor (on leave) of Procedural Law at Pompeu Fabra University and at “Instituto Superior de Derecho y Empresa" in Barcelona.
Author of “La investigación del Patrimonio del ejecutado”, the only book devoted to the comprehensive analysis of civil asset tracing in the Spanish Code of Civil Procedure, as well as of several articles published in specialized legal reviews.
Languages: Spanish, English, French, German and Italian.
- “La UNCITRAL se plantea regular la investigación y recuperación de activos (Asset Tracing & Recovery)”, Diario La Ley nº 9635, 19 Mayo 2020 ( )
- “UNCITRAL envisaging work on asset tracing and recovery”, International Litigation News, International Bar Association, May 2020 ( )
- “Asset tracing and recovery in insolvency contexts: an UNCITRAL approach”, Eurofenix, INSOL Europe, Spring 2020 ( )
- Asset Tracing Secrets Under Spanish Law ( )
- “UNCITRAL Hints at Possible Work on Asset Tracing and Recovery in the Area of Insolvency Law”, INSOL WORLD, Q2, 2020 (with )
- I Congreso de Arbitraje Comercial y Arbitraje de Inversión. Guayaquil, Ecuador, 21-22 Agosto 2019. Panel: “Importancia de la Sede del Arbitraje en los arbitrajes internacionales. El rol de las Instituciones Arbitrales y de la Justicia Estatal”.
- AIJA/INSOL Europe Mallorca Joint Insolvency Seminar. Mallorca, Spain. 13 June 2019 – 15 June 2019. Speaker and Member of the Organizing Committee.
- Bank Recovery and Resolution. AIJA. London, UK. 11 October 2018 – 13 October 2018. Speaker and Member of the Organizing Committee.
- Navigating Through Troubled Waters; Current Trends in International Maritime and Energy Insolvencies. AIJA. Bilbao, Spain. 28 – 30 September 2017. Speaker and Member of the Organizing Committee.
- Open Day United States and LATAM. BLITA. Barcelona, Spain. 25 October 2018.